Insecurity: (noun) Uncertainty or anxiety about oneself. Lack of confidence.
Insecurity is a feeling I know all too well. It tells me I’m not good enough. That I’m failing. That I’m not worthy.
Throughout scripture, we see God calling our Bible heroes into His mighty plan, but their insecurities come to the surface.
Moses- I’m not a good speaker.
Jeremiah- I’m too young.
Gideon- I’m too weak.
And every time one of our Bible heroes tells God their insecurity, God’s response is the same. It isn’t reassuring them that they are good enough or that they’re the perfect one for the job. Nope, it’s simply Him reminding them that He is God.
Knowing who He is should be enough for us. And as if God isn’t good enough, He also reminds us throughout scripture of who we are.
So if we’re rooted in who God, and in the truths about who we are, we should be confident. Fully secure.
There are lots of scriptures to remind us of these truths, but I’ll start with these twenty. Feel free to print out this list and put it where you can be reminded often of God’s truths about who and whose you are. 🙂
20 Scriptures to Pray When You’re Feeling Insecure
- Pray that you would know God. “But the people who know their God shall be strong and carry out great exploits.” (Daniel 11:32b)
- Pray that you would remember God is with you when you feel unqualified. “Moses said to the LORD, “Oh Lord, I have never been eloquent…I am slow of speech and tongue.” The LORD said to him, “Who gave man his mouth?…Is it not I, the LORD? Now go, I will help you speak and I will teach you what to say.”(Exodus 4:10-12)
- Pray that you would appreciate how God made you. “For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.” Psalm 139:13-14
- Pray that you would pursue the good works God has created for you to do. “For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”
- Pray that you not focus on outward appearance, but what matters to God. “But the LORD said to Samuel, ‘Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.” (1 Samuel 16:7)
- Pray that you would remember you are an heir with Christ. “Since we are His children, we will possess the blessings He keeps for His children, and will also possess with Christ what God has kept for him, for we share Christ’s sufferings so we also share His glory.” (Romans 8:17 GNTD)
- Pray that you would remember you are alive and saved by His grace. “While we were spiritually dead in disobedience, He brought us to life in Christ. It is by God’s grace you have been saved.” (Ephesians 2:5)
- Pray that you would not focus on comparing yourself to others. “We will not compare ourselves with each other as if one of us were better and another worse. We have far more interesting things to do with our lives. Each of us is an original.” (Galatians 5:26 MSG)
- Pray that your strength and contentedness would come from the LORD. “I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances…I can do everything through him who gives me strength.” (Philippians 4:11b, 13)
- Pray that you would trust God’s plan for your life. “For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord. ‘Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.” (Jeremiah 29:11)
- Pray that you would focus on God’s approval of you and not others’. “Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I still trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.” (Galatians 1: 10)
- Pray that you would trust in the LORD in all circumstances. “Blessed is the one who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit.” (Jeremiah 17:7-8)
- Pray that you would know God loves you and delights in you. “The LORD your God is in your midst, a mighty warrior. He will exult over you with joy, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.” (Zephaniah 3:17)
- Pray that you would trust that God is doing a good thing in you and your life. “Being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 1:6)
- Pray that you would know you are chosen. “You are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into His wonderful light.” (1 Peter 1:9)
- Pray that you would confidently step into your calling and anointing. “The Spirit of the LORD is on me, for He has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.” (Luke 4:18-19 or Isaiah 61:1)
- Pray that you would know your worth in God’s eyes. “Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of the Father. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid, you are worth more than many sparrows.” (Matthew 10:29-31)
- Pray that you would know you have all you need from God. “For in Him, we have been enriched in every way–in all your speaking and in all your knowledge.” (1 Corinthians 1:5)
- Pray that your fears would be gone knowing that God is fighting for you. “The LORD is my light and my salvation–whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life–of whom shall I be afraid?..For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in His dwelling; He will hide me in the shelter of His tabernacle and set me high upon a rock.” Psalm 27:1 & 5)
- Pray that you would be able to take your thoughts captive and remember God’s truths always. “We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” (2 Corinthians 10:5)
What is your favorite scripture for when you are feeling insecure?