Essential oils are the oils extracted from plant parts (flowers, bark, leaves, etc) used for aromatic or even medical purposes. Each oil has different benefits for our physical and emotional health. There are so many testimonies of people experiencing positive changes to their health or their children’s health after using a particular essential oil that I just had to give it a try. I’ve since fallen in essential oils and don’t know what I would do without them!
Disclaimer: Please know that I’m not an expert on essential oils or a health expert of any kind, but I’ve done quite a bit of research, which I recommend you do if you are new to essential oils. I am just sharing our experiences with you.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission.
I always buy my essential oils from Young Living. Although it may be more expensive than several other brands, with essential oils you get what you pay for. Some companies dilute their oils or add other (potentially toxic) ingredients to keep their cost down, which defeats the purpose of using essential oils for its healing properties. In this post, I will be referring to oil blends that are sold by Young Living.
I love to diffuse essential oils. Diffusing is a great way for the entire family to get the benefits of essential oils and as a bonus, makes your house smell great. 🙂
Sometimes I put about 20 drops of an oil in a roller bottle, fill it the rest of the way with sweet almond oil or fractionated coconut oil (to dilute), and I follow directions for where to apply topically. (Ex: DiGize on tummy for digestive issues, across forehead and down spine for Brain Power).
So, without further ado:
The oils I use for my special needs children:
Thieves essential oil is the first oil I tried, as the kiddos got colds often and they would last for daaaays and result in croup and terrible coughs and other yuckiness. It’s a blend that is fantastic for building up immunity, as it contains a blend of oils that kill viruses and bacteria in the body if applied topically, or throughout the house if diffused. Any time the kiddos get the sniffles or anything more significant, I pull out the diffuser and diffuse this throughout the house, in their rooms, etc. I also apply to the bottoms of their feet in the morning and before bed until they are feeling better. Love this stuff, and the smell reminds me a little bit of Christmas, because of the cloves and cinnamon in it.
Brain Power is a favorite of ours. This is a blend of oils that is supposed to help with mental focus, and I read was great for kids with speech delays. I apply it to the kiddos on the back of their necks, and across the forehead in the morning and at night. My older son likes me to massage a little bit on his big toes. He is making huge strides with his speech, his understanding of things around him, and his social skills. I don’t know if it’s the essential oils or just maturity helping with this, but I keep using the oils and keep seeing him blossom before my eyes, so I don’t plan on stopping anytime soon. I use it for my younger son too, and when I forget to put some on him in the morning I notice he’s a little bit more hyperactive. I think it’s because there’s lavender and other calming oils in Brain Power. Also love the smell of this one.
Peace and Calming is the newest oil to my collection that I love love love. I’ve been using it on my younger son due to his hyperactivity, impulsivity, and strong-willed nature that can drive me crazy. I’ve also read that it’s great for kiddos with sensory processing disorder, because it helps calm the nervous system down, and so I use it on both kiddos (sorry, I looked and looked for the link where I read that but can’t find it). This is a great oil to diffuse, it makes the house smell so fresh and clean! It’s also great for helping little ones fall asleep. I use it sometimes myself, when I can’t get my anxious mind to stop whirling to help me settle down and fall asleep. This was also a life saver when my younger son started having night terrors. This oil would calm him right down and help him fall asleep quickly after a night terror, and with prayer and continual use of this oil before bed, the night terrors haven’t returned.
Digize is great for older children and adults with any digestive issues. Digize is not recommended for children under age 5, if you’d like an essential oil blend specifically formulated for younger children, check out Young Living’s Tummygize. Both are great for digestive issues. A lot of special needs children tend to have either constipation or diarrhea and treating gut health is so beneficial to the rest of the body. Rub a drop of Digize or Tummygize in a carrier oil (I like coconut or almond oil) and rub counter clock wise around belly button. When my older son was really struggling with constipation, I’d do this with him, and within an hour he’d have a bowel movement without any pain.
Other essential oils that are helpful
- Frankincense (which is in both Brain Power and Valor blends) as well as Sacred Frankincense are reported to help with speech and focus. Frankincense has the ability to go through the brain barrier and help stimulate brain function as well as general healing.
- Lavender is great for calming and sleep. Rub a drop or two on the bottoms of feet or diffuse in bedroom for a great night’s sleep. This is also great for ear infections–put a few drops on a cotton ball and insert in the ears for relief of ear infection pain. Lavender is also one of the best oils for those with asthma at relieving the inflammation in the lungs that trigger an asthma attack. Lavender is also great for putting on cuts, bruises and mild burns to prevent infection and reduce swelling, as well as speed up with the healing process. Also great for treating eczema.
- Cedarwood can help with focus
- Grounding is great for helping one focus on the here and now–great for those who live in their own little world or are so excited by new ideas and possibilities they can’t focus on the current moment.
- Valor is another favorite, and I love using it myself. It is a blend that helps with confidence and I like to put it on my boys before school or before a therapy appointment, as it helps them focus and be more open to trying new things without anxiety.
- Vetiver is great for calming the mind and body down, this oil is great for children with ADHD
- Peppermint can also help with digestion, but isn’t recommended for children under the age of 5. It must be diluted with a carrier oil (we use almond oil) on older children. Rub a drop diluted with carrier oil clockwise around belly button. Can also help with concentration and focus for older children. Peppermint is also great for the respiratory system–diffuse a blend of peppermint, lemon and lavender to help with seasonal allergies and/or asthma. Love this oil and it’s multiple purposes.
- The Reconnect Kit has four oils specifically formulated for children. Haven’t tried it, but I’ve heard great things about it.
- GeneYus is an oil from the Reconnect Kit that is similar to Brain Power, but cheaper, if you want to try it rather than Brain Power. But since we have Brain Power, we’re going to keep doing what we’re doing.
- Clarity is another oil that can help with focus and attention. We tried it, but didn’t really notice a difference, and so we’re sticking with using Brain Power.
- RC stands for respiratory care and that’s truly what it does. I love diffusing this when kiddos have a cold, cough, or croup, or when we have the sniffles from seasonal allergies.
- Lemongrass is great for muscle tone, so if your child has cerebral palsy or hypotonia, add some lemongrass essential oil to a carrier oil and massage into the muscles, or add a few drops of lemongrass to epsom salts and add to bathwater when your child is taking a bath.
- Ningxia Red is not an essential oil, but rather a tasty juice that Young Living makes with the Chinese wolfberry that has essential amino acids, vitamins and minerals you and your child needs. It also has a very high amount of antioxidants in it which will help reduce inflammation throughout the body, including in the gut and around the brain. It is recommended that children drink 1 oz a day to help them get all the health benefits of this drink.
Please remember to do your research thoroughly before using essential oils for safety. Used properly, you may see some wonderful benefits to the health of every member of your family.
Leave any comments or questions in the comment section below, or shoot me an email, I would be glad to help you out! If you’re totally new to Young Living essential oils you can order a starter kit at an amazing discount price with 11 oils and a diffuser. Or contact me to get started on your Young Living journey!
Oh, and if you’re a Christian mama of a child with special needs, please subscribe to Embracing This Special Life and you’ll receive some encouraging freebies. 🙂
Do you use essential oils for your special needs children? Which ones have you found helpful?