Every December I’d make a list of resolutions that sounded like it would make my life just the way I wanted. And about halfway through January, they would all be abandoned, and I would feel doomed to be stuck the way I was forever. Can you relate?
So, one year I decided to simply choose one year to be the theme of my life and make my goals stem from that one word. I chose Victory as my word. I had a lot of areas in my life I wanted to experience victory. Victory in my marriage, my health, my faith, my parenting, and my heart and mind. It sounded wonderful. And I did experience quite a bit of victory in several areas of my life.
HOW DO I CHOOSE MY WORD?
- Pray! God will guide you to the word He wants you to focus on.
- Think of what godly qualities you would most like to see more of in your life. Make a list of words that come to you (see below for inspiration), before narrowing it down.
- Choose one word. It may be hard to settle on one, but one will stand out as something that excites you when you think about having more of that in your life.
- Meaning. Learn more about that word. What does it mean to you? Look up the definition of the word and/or a quote about it that inspires you.
- Goals. Once you have chosen your word, create five to ten goals you would like to see accomplished in your life that relates to this word with a few specific details to help you achieve it.
Make sure your goals are:
1) a little above your comfort zone, but achievable
2) cover a variety of areas in your life to keep you well-rounded
- Personal: spiritual, emotional, intellectual and physical goals
- Relational: Goals relating to your marriage, children, others
- Business: Career, finances, hobbies etc.
3) bring meaning and excitement to your life
HOW DO I KEEP FOCUSED ON MY WORD?
- Create a vision board with pictures and quotes that relate to your word and that inspires you and put it in a prominent space. Keep your list of goals on that board. Mine is a bulletin board with pictures of my kids, quotes that inspire me, and my list of goals and it is located above my desk where I spend my time with God, write and blog.
- Create a Pinterest board of pins related to your word.
- Buy the letters to spell out your one word resolution and put that word on your work desk, on your fireplace mantel or somewhere else where you will see it often.
- Look up Bible verses that relate to your word and choose one or two to add to your board or to place in a prominent spot. Memorize that verse.
- Find a notebook with your word on it and journal your progress, to-do lists, or prayers in it.
- Get or make a piece of jewelry that has your one word resolution on it. Check out this post from Moms & Crafters for inspiration. 🙂
LIST OF POTENTIAL WORDS
Or any other word that is on your heart.
Don’t forget, you can print out your free printable One Word Resolution: Choosing One Word to Transform Your Life to help you choose your one word with more tips and space to brainstorm!
Here’s to choosing one word that has the potential to change your life!
P.S. If you loved this free resource guide, consider subscribing below for a printable list of 30 Scriptures to Pray for Your Children. 🙂