Fear has played a huge role in my life recently in a few areas of my life. I’ve worried about my kids, not done things that I’m passionate about out of fear of what people might think of me, and avoided quite a few things out of a fear of failure. And so, I did what I always do when I’m struggling with something—look up a lot of scriptures that relate to that topic, and turn them into personalized prayers. I take each verse and add my own personal struggles in that area.
God gave us His word and He wants us to pray. When we combine prayer with Scripture, mighty things can happen, and you’ll finish your time praying scripture feeling a lot more confident knowing that God is on your side.
There’s hundreds of verses in the Bible about fear, but I chose the 15 areas I feel most helpful for praying regarding fear. Subscribe to the blog and you’ll receive this printable list of 15 Scriptures to Pray When You’re Struggling with Fear, as well as 30 Scriptures to Pray For Your Children. 🙂
15 Scriptures to Pray When You’re Struggling with Fear
- Pray that you would be reliant on God’s strength and support. “I have chosen you and have not rejected you. So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:9-10
- Pray that you would stand firm in faith. “Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.” 1 Corinthians 13
- Pray that you would have courage. “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you, wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9
- Pray that you would have no fear of man. “Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.” Galatians 1:10
- Pray that you would have no fear of failure. “You will obey the LORD and follow all his commands I am giving you today. Then The LORD your God will make you prosperous in all the work of your hands…” Deuteronomy 30:8-9
- Pray that you would have no fear of the future. “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear…Consider the ravens; They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life?” Luke 12:22, 24-25
- Pray that you would share your faith boldly. “Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given to me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.” Ephesians 6:19-20
- Pray that you would surrender your fears to God. “Don’t fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God’s wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It’s wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life.” Philippians 4:6-7 MSG
- Pray that you would grow in faith. “You don’t have enough faith,” Jesus told them. “I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain ‘move from here to there’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.” Matthew 17:20
- Pray that you would have a godly confidence. “She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come; She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.” Proverbs 31:25-26
- Pray that you would be secure in your calling. “For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” Ephesians 2:10
- Pray that you would experience freedom from fear. “For God did not give us a spirit of fear, but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline.” 2 Timothy 1:7
- Pray that you would live in your spiritual identity. “For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, ‘Abba, Father.’ The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs–heirs of God and coheirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.” Romans 8:15-17
- Pray that you would be obedient. “Stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.” 1 Corinthians 15:58
Please share with us in the comments, what verse is your favorite about overcoming fear?
If you enjoyed this list of scriptures, please subscribe below to receive two printable praying scripture guides. 🙂