We all want to be part of something bigger than ourselves. We all want to know what our purpose is while we are on earth, hence the reason The Purpose-Driven Life quickly became a bestselling book with over 6,000 raving reviews on Amazon.
What is purpose? In our case, purpose is defined as
n. the reason for which something is done or created or for which something exists.
According to scripture we know we are uniquely created for God and that He has a purpose for us. He has specific things that we were created to accomplish in our lifetime–that is our purpose.
Below are twenty of my favorite verses (there are MANY more!) that you can read, ponder, journal, and pray as you seek and walk in the purpose that God has uniquely crafted for you. Feel free to print this list out. Consider praying or journaling one a day and listen to what God is directing you to do and believe about yourself regarding your purpose.
20 Scriptures to Pray for Walking in Your God-Given Purpose
- Pray that you would surrender to the purpose that God has for you. “I will cry out to God Most High, to God who will fulfill his purpose for me.” Psalm 57:2 NLT
- Pray that God would guide and direct you toward your purpose. “If you need wisdom, ask our generous God and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking.” James 1:5
- Pray that you would bear fruit as you pursue the purpose God has appointed for you. “…I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit–fruit that will last.” John 15:16
- Pray that God’s will and purpose for you would be done. “Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.” Matthew 6:10
- Pray that you would faithfully serve your purpose throughout your lifetime. “Now when David has served God’s purpose in his generation, he fell asleep; he was buried with his ancestors and his body decayed.” Acts 13:36
- Thank God that He has equipped you to fulfill your purpose. “For in him you have been enriched in every way–in all your speaking and in all your knowledge…” 1 Corinthians 1:5
- Pray that you would confidently pursue the things God has created and called you to do. “For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so that we can do the good things he planned for us long ago. “ Ephesians 2:10 NLT
- Give thanks for how God has created you, blessed you, and for the things he is teaching you. “Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 5:18
- Pray that God would use your circumstances, your situations, your gifts and your talents for his purpose and glory. “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” Romans 8:28
- Pray that God would equip you with all you need to fulfill your purpose. “Now may the God of peace…equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ.” Hebrews 13:20-21
- Thank God that you have been anointed for your specific purpose. “The Spirit of the Lord is on me, for he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.” Luke 4:18/Isaiah 61:1
- Pray that God would use you in mighty ways as you follow your purpose. “Now, to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us…” Ephesians 3:20
- Pray that you would pursue your purpose in love. “Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us.” Ephesians 5:1-2
- Pray that you would fight against Satan’s schemes that will keep you from following God’s purpose for you. “Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes…” Ephesians 5:11
- Pray that you would follow God’s purpose for you boldly. “Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9
- Pray that you would follow God’s purpose for you seeking God and filled with the Spirit. “Do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is. Do not get drunk on wine..instead be filled with the Spirit.” Ephesians 5:17-18
- Pray that you would shine your light for God’s glory as you fulfill your purpose. “You are the light of the world….Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.” Matthew 5:14, 16
- Pray that your motives in fulfilling your purpose would be to earn God’s approval and not man’s. “Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.” Galatians 1:10
- Pray that you would share the Gospel and your own God stories fearlessly. “Pray..that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.” Ephesians 6:19-20
- Pray that you would use the gifts God gave you faithfully. “Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ.” 1 Peter 4:10-11
Blessings as you pray for and walk in your purpose. 🙂
If you enjoyed this, check out related posts:
Or considering subscribing below–you’ll receive two free printable lists of scripture, plus a monthly encouraging update with more lists of scripture to pray in your inbox. 🙂
What is your favorite scripture to pray for your purpose?