My heart lately has been burdened by events and attitudes I see unfolding around me in the United States. We aren’t united. We are divided by political parties and beliefs. People’s rights seem to be valued over peoples’ lives. People are constantly being judged and condemned. On and on I could go, and it breaks my heart. And I know it does God’s too. Jesus prayed before His death for all of us: “I pray that they will all be one, just as you and I are one—as you are in me, Father, and I am in you. And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me.” (John 17:21) Not only did Jesus pray and die for us to be united, but His prayer was that by us being united, other people, those who are not believers, would be drawn toward God. But right now, sadly, a lot of unbelievers see Christians as hypocrites, pushing them farther away from God.
Now, I’m not saying things are all bad. I see people truly loving God and others. I see lives changed by the power of God and of other people’s love in their lives. It’s inspiring and encouraging.
But sprinkled among the kindness and encouragement are words of complaining and judgment and condemnation. Of anger and selfishness. I’ll be honest, I’m guilty of some of it myself. Our country is in the middle of a great battle, and as believers we know that the best way for us to battle is on our knees. And the best source to turn to is not the news or social media, but the very word of God
Our country is in the middle of a great battle, and we know that the best way for us to battle is on our knees. And the best source to turn to is not the news or social media, but the very Word of God.
15 Scriptures To Pray For Our Nation
- Pray that you and other believers would seek God in humility and that God would bringing healing to our land. “Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land.” 2 Chronicles 7:14
- Pray that our nation would be able to emerge from its darkness and seek God and be a light to others. And pray that we ourselves would be a light for others. “See, darkness covers the earth and thick darkness is over the peoples, but the LORD rises upon you and his glory appears over you. Nations will come to your light, and kings to the brightness of your dawn.” Isaiah 60:2-3
- Pray that you, your family, and our nation would follow God and be blessed. “Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD, the people he chose for his inheritance.” Psalm 33:12
- Pray for all those in authority, for all of our leaders in government. “I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people. Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them. Pray this way for kings and all who are in authority so that we can live peaceful and quiet lives marked by godliness and dignity. This is good and pleases God our Savior, who wants everyone to be saved and to understand the truth. For, there is one God and one Mediator who can reconcile God and humanity—the man Christ Jesus. He gave his life to purchase freedom for everyone.” 1 Timothy 2:1-6
- Pray that God would give wisdom and knowledge to our government leaders and anyone in any position of authority. “Praise be to the name of God forever and ever; wisdom and power are his. He changes times and seasons; he deposes kings and raises up others. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning.” Daniel 2:20-21
- Thank God that He is the one in full authority and in control of our nation. “Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.” Romans 13:1
- Pray that God’s will would be done in our nation. “Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.” Matthew 6:9-10
- Pray that our hearts and our nation would pursue righteousness rather than sin. “Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin condemns any people.” Proverbs 14:34
- Pray that the fear of the LORD and godly wisdom would drive our actions and our country. “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.” Proverbs 9:10
- Pray that each of our words would be loving toward others and line up God’s Word. “A person’s words can be life-giving water; words of true wisdom are as refreshing as a bubbling brook.” Proverbs 18:4
- Pray that each of us in our great nation would show love toward one another as Christ demonstrated for us. “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.” 1 Corinthians 13:4-7
- Pray that our hearts and the hearts of others in our great nation will let go of any anger or bitterness toward those with different ideas and show them love instead. “Get rid of all bitterness, rage, and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other just as in Christ God forgave you.” Ephesians 4:31-32
- Pray that our hearts would let go of any pride and selfishness and instead love generously and help those in need in our country. “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility, value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests, but each of you to the interests of others.” Philippians 2:3-4
- Pray that we would be a nation who lives up to its name of United States of America and be united in love, mind, and thought. “I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there is no division among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought.” 1 Corinthians 1:10
- Pray that God would hear our prayers and move in mighty ways in our nation. “Now, our God, hear the prayers and petitions of your servant..Give ear, our God, and hear; open our eyes and see the desolation of the [nation] that bears your name. We do not make requests of you because we are righteous, but because of your great mercy. Lord, listen! Lord, forgive! Lord, hear and act! For your sake, my God, do not delay, because your [nation] and your people bear your Name.” Daniel 9:17-19
We may not always see the results of our prayers, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t stop battling on our knees for our country. Remember the words of James 5:6: “The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results.”
If you enjoy praying scripture, you may want to consider subscribing and you’ll receive 30 Scriptures to Pray for Your Children and 15 Scriptures to Pray When You’re Struggling with Fear.
What scriptures do you like to pray for our country?